47062Re: [scrumdevelopment] Prioritization of Stories in Business Productivity Automation

  • William Wake
    Jun 1, 2010

      > The business value of the tool is to add transparency to the current process so that

      > people can see anyone item moving through the process and know where it is and how

      > long it is been there.  Also, knowledge/nags etc. when things are overdue.  Currently this

      > is tracked in a spreadsheet and there are data problems and access problems etc.  The PO

      > believes that the tool can’t deliver on this business value until it covers the whole process

      >  – replacing the spreadsheet.

      I'm imagining that some part of the process "listens" for status from items as they change states, owners, etc. Would it be possible to use the spreadsheet as an input to that? The early value would be "people can monitor using the new page." While the spreadsheet itself would be still have issues around multiple writers, there would only be a single reader. Then, as each process (or partial process) is added for automatic monitoring, it would no longer be manually tracked in the spreadsheet. Once all were converted, there'd be no more manual updates and no more spreadsheet.

      This would let you start deploying right away rather than wait till everything is converted.

      (There are variations you could do (e.g., writing spreadsheet from the new system) but I think it'd be better to get the new page visible sooner.)

      --Bill Wake

      On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Tara Santmire <tara@...> wrote:

      Well our first process is pretty complex.  There are a number of different decision points.  Some of those decision points kick off nice sequential processes.  Some of them kickoff parallel processes  that never come back.  Some of them kickoff parallel processes that have to rejoin  and then kick off more stuff.  Sometimes there are circular review/revise until approval things.   In addition we expect to have somewhere on the order of 150 items moving through the process at any one time and there are specific actors at certain points and for many other things there are a group of actors and we have to know which actor from the group picked up the current step in the process.  So different people will be doing different things to the same item and/or different items at the same time.

      The business value of the tool is to add transparency to the current process so that people can see anyone item moving through the process and know where it is and how long it is been there.  Also, knowledge/nags etc. when things are overdue.  Currently this is tracked in a spreadsheet and there are data problems and access problems etc.  The PO believes that the tool can’t deliver on this business value until it covers the whole process – replacing the spreadsheet.

      Tara E. Santmire, CSM, PMP
      ta

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic