47053Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Status Reporting, scheduling & estimation inScrum

  • Dan Rawsthorne
    Jun 1 10:46 AM
      I like to say "later than expected" rather than "later than planned" --
      expectation rather than plan... discuss...

      Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, CST
      Senior Trainer/Coach, CollabNet
      drawsthorne@..., 425-269-8628

      sep wrote:

      > "Late" is perfectly reasonable and descriptive - it means "no longer
      > expected to be complete at the planned release date". You just need to
      > remember that it isn't pejorative.
      >
      > You also need to be continuously (at least each sprint) considering
      > the statistics Mark mentions below and considering whether it's more
      > important to include all the planned features or to deliver on the
      > planned date, and adjust one knob (date) or the other (scope).
      >
      > regards,
      >
      > scott
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>, "woynam" <woyna@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > My first suggestion is to stop saying that your project is late. I'm
      > guessing that the project is probably where it should be, and the
      > initial estimate was too optimistic.
      > >
      > > See, by saying that the project is late you're buying into the myth
      > that one can accurately predict the future. If the project is "behind
      > schedule", it must be the fault of the team, as the plan says we're
      > supposed to be done, and the plan can't be wrong, now can it?
      > >
      > > So, start by firing the person who said the project could be done in
      > the original time frame. That will boost the moral of the team. :-)
      > >
      > > How many features do you have done? What's the combined size
      > (measured in story points) for the completed features? How big is the
      > remaining backlog? Assuming you have to complete all features in the
      > backlog, you can easily use velocity to calculate the time needed to
      > complete the backlog, and the final cost. Of course, if you want to
      > save time and money, you'll skip some of the low priority features.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >
      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>, anwars78@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > ok,
      > > >
      > > > Currently, I still manage project which already late for 1 years.
      > I just involving in the middle of project, and planning to adapt scrum.
      > > >
      > > > As part of management report, I shall also provide estimate cost
      > at completion, that sure for worst case scenario. Traditionally I will
      > use earn value estimation for estimate cost at completion, so I get
      > curious, if I can this technique also in scrum.
      > > >
      > > > I am listening and look forward for advice and suggestion.
      > > >
      > > > Regards
      > > >

      > > > Anwar Sadat. Agile Project Management. Indonesia. +6281321666510

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic