      From: Roy Morien <roymorien@...>
      Sender: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 03:46:36 +0000
      To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] Status Reporting, scheduling & estimation inScrum

      What has made it 'late'?
      And what does 'late' mean? Is it because the project has gone badly, or slowly, or is it because someone promised a delivery date that couldn't be met, however well the project proceeded? This is one big problem with 'late' projects. It may just be because of nonsensical 'estimating' at the start. It could also be because the developers, and the users, didn't understand the real requirements, and/or were unable to specify them all up front (which is usually impossible anyway)? Have requirements evolved, but the deadline didn't?
      When did you first start to notice that the project was 'late'? What was one about that?
      How have you managed requirements? Do you have a change control regime that allows you to refuse new requirements as they arise, or did you allow 'scope creep' without making changes to the deadline that this demanded.
      Who is being 'blamed' for the project being 'late'?
      All sort of interesting questions arise when you talk about a project being 'late'. It is not unreasonable to think that the project is actually rolling along wonderfully well, but the estimates and assumptions at the start were totlly wrong and unrealistic.
      And maybe 'plan the work and work the plan' just doesn't work!
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: anwars78@yahoo. com
      Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 02:14:00 +0000

      Currently, I still manage project which already late for 1 years. I just involving in the middle of project, and planning to adapt scrum.

      As part of management report, I shall also provide estimate cost at completion, that sure for worst case scenario. Traditionally I will use earn value estimation for estimate cost at completion, so I get curious, if I can this technique also in scrum.

      I am listening and look forward for advice and suggestion.

      Anwar Sadat. Agile Project Management. Indonesia. +6281321666510