4672RE: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM performance measurements

  • Thierry Thelliez
    Sep 30, 2004
      There is another scenario to help measuring how Scrum helps your
      organization.

      Collecting data before a Scrum implementation might not be obvious. But you
      could collect some data after...

      In our case we stepped back from explicit sprint definitions we had
      successfully released a major new release. The main reason was that
      support/training/bugs made our life so unpredictable that we just had to let
      the storm go by. Many issues were sent to the product backlog but some
      critical issues had to be addressed. We still had our daily meetings but we
      were not defining time boxing our activities anymore.

      The metrics I was recording during the sprint defined phase was the number
      of tasks the team could execute per week. We kept recording our tasks during
      the storm described. The numbers dropped by 50%!

      Not surprisingly the team was:
      - less focused / more interrupted,
      - probably less motivated,
      - involved in less technical tasks (setup, maintenance, support), and
      - less able to estimate the time needed for a task (mostly fixes).

      Thierry Thelliez
      www.doxcelerate.com