46527Re: Scrum master's effort tracking

  • scott preece
    Apr 19 2:52 PM
      At some level, the justification is presumably that the team has higher velocity with the SM doing her job than without. However, as others have noted, it's not really about velocity (a measure used within the team), it's about delivered business value. Again, the claim would be that the SM allows the team to deliver more business value per unit time.

      regards,
      scott

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "poojawandile" <poojawandile@...> wrote:

      > >If the Scrum Master is not in, other team members usually have to pick-up at least part of his tasks>
      > I am looking at other way round. The team has Scrum master whose job is to ensure that scrum process is followed by the team. When user stories are picked by team members, he is not comitting to any story because he is not taking up any development tasks. So there are no user stories against his name. When team velocity is calculated how is the scrum master's work get accounted for/looked at in absence of any user story for him? My main concern is how does a scrum master justify his/her role when no user story is committed by him.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Pooja
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > We do adjust our expected velocity (so the amount of work taken into a
      > > sprint) based on availability of team members. That means that if a team
      > > member is on holiday for half of the sprint, we subtract a part of the
      > > expected velocity: ie. 12 points instead of 15, if one team member of a 5
      > > person team is absent.
      > >
      > > If the Scrum Master is not in, other team members usually have to pick-up at
      > > least part of his tasks, and we take that out of our expected velocity: one
      > > developer is going to be spending 50% of his time on scrum master tasks, so
      > > substract about two points.
      > >
      > > Note that all this happens in the Sprint Planning meeting, and is not done
      > > as an exact calculation: we look at availability and simply adjust the
      > > expected amount of storypoints we can handle downward until we think it
      > > seems right. In an earlier team I have done this more strictly (calculate
      > > 'effective' velocity based on nr. of storypoints set against the percentage
      > > of availability) but that turned out to not be more accurate then what we're
      > > doing now.
      > >
      > > Wouter
      > >

      > > On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@> wrote:
      > >

      > > > What is 'velocity'? It is a measure of the amount of development achieved
      > > > by the team in a sprint, measured in whatever unit of measurement the team
      > > > has decided ... user story points, whatever.
      > > >
      > > > So there is no concept of including anyone's 'effort' or 'time', just
      > > > development achievement as measured.
      > > >
      > > > Presumably the project is being costed, so the Scrum Master's cost would be
      > > > included in the project cost. And project cost has nothing to do with
      > > > measuring team velocity.
      > > >
      > > > Any attempt at measuring 'productivity' using 'velocity' is irrelevant and
      > > > useless too.
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Roy Morien

      > > > To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

> [...]