46515Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum master's effort tracking

  • Wouter Lagerweij
    Apr 19, 2010
      Hi,

      We do adjust our expected velocity (so the amount of work taken into a sprint) based on availability of team members. That means that if a team member is on holiday for half of the sprint, we subtract a part of the expected velocity: ie. 12 points instead of 15, if one team member of a 5 person team is absent.

      If the Scrum Master is not in, other team members usually have to pick-up at least part of his tasks, and we take that out of our expected velocity: one developer is going to be spending 50% of his time on scrum master tasks, so substract about two points.

      Note that all this happens in the Sprint Planning meeting, and is not done as an exact calculation: we look at availability and simply adjust the expected amount of storypoints we can handle downward until we think it seems right. In an earlier team I have done this more strictly (calculate 'effective' velocity based on nr. of storypoints set against the percentage of availability) but that turned out to not be more accurate then what we're doing now.

      Wouter

      On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@...> wrote:

      What is 'velocity'?  It is a measure of the amount of development achieved by the team in a sprint, measured in whatever unit of measurement the team has decided ... user story points, whatever.

      So there is no concept of including anyone's 'effort' or 'time', just development achievement as measured.

      Presumably the project is being costed, so the Scrum Master's cost would be included in the project cost. And project cost has nothing to do with measuring team velocity.

      Any attempt at measuring 'productivity' using 'velocity' is irrelevant and useless too.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: poojawandile@...
      Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:33:32 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum master's effort tracking

      Hi,
      I have a query on scrum master's effort tracking.
      If a project has dedicated scrum master who is not doing any development tasks, but only monitoring Scrum process, do we have to consider his effort while calculating velocity? How and where his effort gets accounted?

      Thanks,
      Pooja

      Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic