44747Letting attacks go unchallenged

  • mel
    Feb 1, 2010
      I was reading this post on Availagility  about the seminal article, "The new new product development game".

      This comment by Corey Ladas stands out:

      "I forgot how much bullshit had been added by the CSM crowd"

      I've just finished Corey's book called Scrum-Ban. In that he adds a lot of structure to the development process, that may be appropriate to software development and that requires interpretation by technically competent people. I think this comment in the book is telling:

      "If you refuse to take responsibility for sequencing the work, then I will"

      He calls this the developer's natural authority. To my mind, the priesthood of traditional software development shops is what got businesses into the mess they are with managing dynamic projects in the first place.

      So, he's taken as a starting point the distillation of agile project control that is scrum and added structure.

      I believe Scrum has the absolute minimum to give management the confidence projects are moving forward. It is my opinion that, by not prescribing how the various events get done allows Scrum to be used in many other areas that software development. Even product development.

      I think that there are many tools, techniques and practices that work extremely well inside Scrum, depending upon the project that is being controlled.

      So, what do people think? Should the Scrum community respond or ignore? Should Scrum evolve the way that critics suggest or the way practitioners suggest?

      Apologies if people get bounces from the email address that Yahoo groups think I use. For some reason I can't change it. I suppose the simplest thing would be to create a new account. Use mel at our domain, which is scrumit.co.uk

    • Show all 76 messages in this topic