      From: Victor Szalvay [mailto:victor@...]
      Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2004 4:16 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum v. PMBoK

      I'm not sure if this is still a relevant topic, but I read something
      today that made me think of this thread.

      If people are still pursuing the idea of creating a Scrum/Agile
      extension to the PMBoK, there appears to be precident in the PMBoK
      already for "adaptive" management methodologies: "Rolling Wave
      Planning". I saw this Craig Larman's book "Agile & Iterative
      Development: A Manager's Guide", pp. 253-258, where he references:
      Githens, G. 1998. "Rolling Wave Project Planning", Proceedings on the
      29th Annual Project Management Institute 1998 Seminars and Symposium.

      Craig notes that it is often recommended in RFPs, etc., but is widely
      misunderstood and disregarded in practice.

      Anyway, disregard if this is old news, but it was eye-opening to me.
      I didn't realize I was conforming and in-line with the PMBoK, some of
      my customers will be happy about that :) BTW, I highly recommend
      Craig's book, he takes a very "pragmatic" look at agile/iterative
      dev, and true to his well-researched form, delivers an amazingly well
      documented case for agile/iterative. Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/3hvtk

      -- Victor Szalvay
      http://www.danube.com/

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "xenomino" <xenomino@y...>
      wrote:
      > In all of this discussion, I have yet to hear whether the Agile
      > Community feels that SCRUM is a Project Management methodology. If
      > the community does, there is a mechanism within PMI to create an
      > extension to the PMBOK for new industries or methodologies. I
      > wouldn't call it a SCRUM extension, as calling it an Agile
      extension
      > would allow the inclusion of more agile methodologies. If this is
      > something we agree to doing, I'd be interested in helping put
      > together.
      >
      > The benefits of this would be that the plan-driven pundits would be
      > somewhat silenced with the creation of the PMBOK specifically for
      > Agile projects. We (the agile camp) would be able to overcome the
      > lack of a cost-management and detailed procurement management
      > sections by simply including the PMBOK's by reference.
      >
      > Mike Van, PMP
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Hubert Smits
      > <hubert.smits@g...> wrote:
      > > Hi Ken,
      > >
      > > I'm shading cells in the sprint backlog (for future tasks), looks
      > like
      > > a Gantt chart, similar results. Also provides some feedback on the
      > > planning process that a team went through once all the tasks have
      > > completed.
      > >
      > > --Hubert

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 67 messages in this topic