42497Re: [scrumdevelopment] Tracking Actual Hours

  • Alan Dayley
    Nov 4, 2009
      On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > For years I took number of people on the project times 40 hours a
      > week and reported that. Worked just fine. Auditors didn't care a
      > bit.

      Your point is well take, Ron. We could, in fact start doing this too.

      Our history has been that any given engineer was working on multiple
      projects, some which would be R&D and some maybe not. This required
      the reporting of multiple projects by any one engineer.

      Scrum and other more Agile practices (planning by team instead of
      individual "resources," more focus on project value at the portfolio
      level, recognition that task switching is high cost, etc.) has help
      change this scattered focus considerably. Nearly all the engineers
      are now assigned to one project per sprint. That makes the reporting
      you describe possible.

      A much better world!

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic