42424Re: techie as Product Owner?

  • simons.online
    Nov 3, 2009
      Agile by itself is no guarantee for innovation, but a necessary condition? Maybe not agile, but some form of no nonsense process format is needed for effective collaboration to take place which often plays a role in successful innovations (this assumes that the product dev and technical implementation processes are integrated as they are sometimes separate cycles.)

      According to some bios, Ken Schwaber has a background in product development. I wonder if any of that experience inspired/influenced the development of scrum. In my experience with product design, there is often an emphasis placed on small collaborative teams. It's not agile(scrum,) but I noticed some parallels.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Michael James <michael@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I think people are missing the point of my topic. Lots of people
      > > *can* do the PO role, and it will appear to go smoothly inside the
      > > organization. But which choices have we seen lead to innovation?
      > >

      > I got your point ;-)
      >
      > I am writing this from my desk at my client's site. I am not writing
      > this from my yacht. It follows that I have not discovered the magic
      > formula for innovation.
      >
      > The fact is that most organizations that are wildly successful are
      > every bit as dysfunctional as the ones that aren't. I think that Agile
      > can help to produce higher, more consistent quality, rapid discovery,
      > and adapting to change in the market and within the organization.
      >
      > If an Agile team is able to innovate they will discover more quickly
      > if their innovations are successful or not. However, Agile will not
      > cause you to innovate. I don't know how to do that. If I did, I
      > wouldn't tell you until I bought that yacht :-)
      >
      > I also don't think that the PO should be the single point of
      > innovation. As a programmer I'm not a fan of a single point of
      > anything. When I hear the phrase "single wring-able neck" my brain
      > translates that to "single point of failure." The fact is that POs,
      > team members, and stakeholders should be talking to each other. If
      > there is an opportunity to innovate in the market hopefully they will
      > see that. If there is an opportunity to innovate technically hopefully
      > they will see that as well. In either case it takes the whole team
      > working together to take an innovative idea and capitalize on it in a
      > meaningful way.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic