42413Re: techie as Product Owner?

  • simons.online
    Nov 2 2:53 PM
      Most say, vision in some form is essential for a competent product person. Required technical background? It can't hurt to have a familiarity with the material that you're working with; similar to when an architect (one that designs buildings) knows wood, concrete, glass and steel. Depending on the product, tech knowledge makes more or less of a difference. It's probably not required in most cases, but beneficial. However, technology expertise must be involved in someway; if the product person doesn't have the tech expertise s/he should at least have some quality feedback loops with someone that does.

      Regarding your statement about "unimaginative project management layers," I can't disagree with that. Off the cuff, every place that worked (from enterprise level to start up environment) had too much project management (both processes and people.) The solution to bettering the overall situations was in working a little more sensibly versus adding more people and process.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael James <michael@...> wrote:

      > We often say the Product Owner must have *vision* if we are to succeed
      > at innovation. I stumbled upon a slashdot article questioning whether
      > someone like Steve Ballmer (relatively non technical) can lead
      > innovation as well as someone like Bill Gates (who you may recall
      > wrote the most popular BASIC interpreters for early microcomputers): http://slashdot.org/story/09/10/31/2134237/Microsofts-Lost-Decade
      >
      > Other than those great Z80/8080/6502 BASIC interpreters, I haven't
      > been exposed to enough Microsoft products to judge the claims in the
      > article. I'm mentioning it here because so many companies either lack
      > visionary leadership, or inject unimaginative project management
      > layers that come between the visionary leadership and the
      > implementors. People without any real love for building things have
      > joined our industry, sometimes creating a short-term risk-averse focus
      > leading to boring products.
      >
      > The Product Owner role doesn't *require* any technical skills. But
      > would you expect more innovation when the PO had previously
      > demonstrated love for product development by getting his hands dirty
      > in it himself at some point? Or is there no correlation?
      >
      > --mj

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic