42412Re: [!! SPAM] [scrumdevelopment] Re: techie as Product Owner?

  • Tony Elmore
    Nov 2, 2009
      In the old world, technical background prevented team members from 'pulling the wool over the eyes'...  In Scrum, they are accountable to each other - so it is much more difficult to do that.

      "Vision is far more important"

      On Nov 2, 2009, at 3:07 PM, Mark Levison wrote:

      I've seen innovation come from all sorts of PO's (or Product Management in the old world). I don't think a technical background matters in the least (unless you're trying to produce the next Basic). Vision is far more important.

      On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Michael James <michael@danube. com> wrote:

      I think people are missing the point of my topic. Lots of people
      *can* do the PO role, and it will appear to go smoothly inside the
      organization. But which choices have we seen lead to innovation?

      On Nov 2, 2009, at 12:02 PM, Dan Rawsthorne wrote:

      > Well, the PO is who the PO is - the team member who has the "last say"
      > on the priorities of what the team does. If this person is technical,
      > that's cool. But whoever it is must empowered to make decisions when
      > the
      > team needs them to be made. Many teams have no such person, so they
      > are
      > doing ScrumBut (I don't have a PO). If you have the luxury of choosing
      > what type of person the Business will empower, then go ahead and
      > choose
      > a techie or a BO, or whatever makes sense to you. But it's the
      > empowerment that counts, not the skillset.
      > Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, CST
      > Senior Coach, Danube Technologies
      > dan@..., 425-269-8628
      > jamesjhawkins wrote:
      >> One of the principles of Agile as explained to me is Shared Knowledge
      >> between team members. It seems to me that the PO must take part in
      >> that.
      >> In my experience, the PO does have to make some technical decisions.
      >> For example, they may have to set a relative priority on stories
      >> where
      >> there are technical dependencies. Even if they don't understand the
      >> details, POs need at least enough technical knowledge to understand
      >> the explanations given by engineers in the Scrum. Put simply, they
      >> must be able to speak Geek.
      >> In this, I see the PO as something like a requirements analyst. In
      >> other words, they mediate between the technical and marketing people.
      >> Cheers, Jim
      >> P.S. Here's my blog post on Market vs Technology
      >> http://unmethodical .posterous. com/market- led-vs-technolog y-led-an- interlude
      >> In summary:
      >> The Market knows what it wants, but not what it can have
      >> Technology can innovate radically, but cannot place its innovations
      >> within easy reach
      > ! Groups Links

      Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 761-9821

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic