41843Re: [!! SPAM] RE: RE: [scrumdevelopment] What does agile really mean?

  • Dan Rawsthorne
    Oct 12, 2009
      I capitalize Agile Software Development because the authors of the Agile
      Manifest do so, and they claim that ASD is defined by the manifesto. Ok,
      no problem...

      I want to use the word "agile" to mean only what it means in scrum;
      that's it's an empirical process. I believe that agility is useful in
      all things, and it is the exact antithesis if "predictive". Everything
      else is values, as in the Manifesto, and not process, IMHO.

      Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, CST
      Senior Coach, Danube Technologies
      dan@..., 425-269-8628

      Roy Morien wrote:

      > Well, Dan, I work in two arenas, developing software, and teaching
      > about developing software, so I guess my main emphasis is on Agile
      > Software Development, and my use of the term 'agile development' was
      > mainly intended to be read in that context. I am not sure as to the
      > implications of you capitalising "Agile Software Development" however.
      >
      > But I wonder why you seek to make the distinction,and why my list is
      > so 'narrow'?
      >
      > I have been toying with the idea, for a long time, that agile
      > practices ought to be applied to teaching and learning. Each week is
      > essentially an iteration, commenced with a lecture that provides
      > students with an increment in their learning. If by the end of the
      > week that is 'Done' (ie: well learned a understood) then the student
      > can move on, evolving their knowledge further. As the learning period
      > (semester term) proceeds new ideas emerge as students add to ther
      > knowledge. Information is presented to the student 'just-in-time' to
      > be applied to an ongoing learning exercise or project. I belive that
      > the 'teacher' should be a facilitator and guide to what ought to be
      > learned, rather than being the sole source of wisdom, by 'teaching'
      > the subject matter. I like to see my lectures as signposts indicating
      > a direction to take, and my lecture plans to be a road map of the
      > learning terrain, which I hope the students will traverse in
      > collaborative groups.
      >
      > I think the analogies are there and can be expoited for effective
      > learning.
      >
      > Unfortunately, the common approach to teaching and learning is
      > exemplified in the student complaint 'but you didn't tell us that in
      > the lecture', and the student requirement of 'please give us some exam
      > hints for the exam next week', and the habit of cramming and
      > memorizing the day before the final exam. Memorizing but not
      > understanding. I prefer the model where the students start learning on
      > a continual basis from week 1, working in supportive study groups, so
      > by the time they arrive at the final exam, their confidence is at its
      > highest, not its lowest. (which seems to be another similarity to
      > software projects done in the traditional way, where the maximum
      > level of angst and anxiey is just before that great Feast Day known an
      > Implementation Day.
      >
      > Anyway, Thanks for you response, and maybe a further explanation of
      > your comments.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Roy Morien
      >

      > > To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: dan.rawsthorne@...
      > > Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 03:26:38 -0700
      > > Subject: Re: [!! SPAM] RE: [scrumdevelopment] What does agile really
      > mean?
      > >
      > > Good list, Roy, but it's "Agile Software Development" you are describing
      > > here... not "agile development"
      > >
      > > Only the "Empirical and Adaptive" part is agile.
      > >
      > > Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, CST
> [...]
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic