41802Re: [!! SPAM] Re: [scrumdevelopment] What does agile really mean?

  • Dan Rawsthorne
    Oct 9, 2009
      Two words, two definitions:
      Agile (capital A) is about the Agile Manifesto, etc
      agile (small a) is about adapting to change, inspect and adapt, etc

      Scrum is about agility, not Agility. Scrum can be (and often is) used
      for Agile projects.

      Agility is a set of values, agility is a process/framework/process.

      Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, CST
      Senior Coach, Danube Technologies
      dan@..., 425-269-8628

      Adam Sroka wrote:

      > Agile means the stuff in the Manifesto and its application, but see
      > inline...
      >
      > On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Joshua Partogi
      > <joshua.partogi@... <mailto:joshua.partogi%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > >

      > > I found it these days that the terms 'agile' is kind of overstated.
      > > Especially by managers or end-users that does not really know what
      > > agile in software development practice really is. I also see this in
      > > some software framework marketing when a framework is said to be agile
      > > it means it can produce a software in a blink of an eye. To some
      > > people agile means deliver something fast, but in scrum and
      > > extreme-programming practice it not merely about delivering software
      > > quickly, but it's a mean to be able to adapt with the rapid changes in
      > > user requirement. It also means it delivers the functionality that is
      > > relevant for the user's current needs. It might require pulling of
      > > some requirement to the next iteration.
      > >

      > Sort of. It's about adapting to change and adapting to feedback.
      > Situations change. If we don't adapt our plan to meet those changes
      > then we should expect to fail most of the time, which we do (As an
      > industry.) We also change the situation, because our knowledge,
      > understanding, and needs grow over time. Feedback, of all kinds, is
      > very powerful. It's what makes the difference between great successes
      > and missed opportunities.
      >
      > > Now, let's take an example the practices in XP like unit-testing and
      > > refactoring, this require some time to do and doing this practice not
      > > guarantee the product will be delivered faster than if not doing it.
      > > Pair programming and continuous build also is not a mean to produce
      > > the software faster, but it will produce a software that is less
      > > error-prone.
      > >

      > If the software doesn't have to work then we can build it much faster.
      > If it does have to work then we should endeavor to make it so. XP is
      > about making software that works in tiny increments so that we always
      > know what is working and what is yet to be done. If you feel you don't
      > have time to do that perhaps you should consider a different career.
      >
      > > What is your experience as a Scrum Master or Coach when dealing about
      > > this perception from someone that does not really understand what
      > > agile in software development really means? Is agile in software
      > > development really mean to deliver a software real fast? Or is this a
      > > misperception from some people when translating the word agile in
      > > software development? Or perhaps I am the one that got the wrong
      > > perception about what agile really means?
      > >

      > There is a subtle but important difference between doing something
      > fast and doing something often. Even the best Agile team couldn't
      > deliver Windows in two-weeks, but I bet you they could deliver some
      > increment of running, tested software in less than a minute.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic