41109Re: [scrumdevelopment] Estimates changing drastically during the iteration

  • Adrian Howard
      On 2 Sep 2009, at 18:44, Andrew Wagner wrote:

      > Our team is finding that when we go to actually implement a piece of
      > functionality, sometimes we realize that our estimates during the
      > planning
      > meeting were way off. Thus, we have to get together and re-determine
      > what
      > stories we can actually get done during the iteration, and what we
      > can't,
      > including meeting with the PO to get a "priorities" perspective.
      > Note that
      > this isn't a change like "oh, and we need this added to the feature
      > too",
      > but "oh crap, we can't do this this way on our architecture, we have
      > to do
      > it this completely different way". Is this normal? How can it be
      > mitigated?

      I see that sort of thing in two sorts of situations:
      1) The stories are too big (days to weeks, rather than hours to days)
      2) There's an existing legacy ball of mud which is hard for the team
      to grok

      Do either of these sound like likely causes?

      Solution to (1) - smaller stories :-)

      I occasionally that (2) is due to nobody understanding how everything
      works. Person X knows system A, person Y knows subsystem B, nobody
      really understands how A and B work together. Things like promiscuous
      pairing can help spread that knowledge around.

      Cheers,

      Adrian
      --
      http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh