41106Re: Estimates changing drastically during the iteration

  • jmilunsky
    Sep 3, 2009
      This sort of thing is precisely why i like to do task breakdown during the 2nd half of the sprint planning meeting. (most of the xp guru's don't encourage this step and prefer to rather keep things at the story level). But my experience shows that this helps.

      yes this is normal especially if you didn't do enough thinking about the story up front. You have to really get enough conversation going about the story with the customer or the PO

      Jack
      www.agilebuddy.com
      blog.agilebuddy.com
      twitter.com/agilebuddy

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wagner <wagner.andrew@...> wrote:

      > Our team is finding that when we go to actually implement a piece of
      > functionality, sometimes we realize that our estimates during the planning
      > meeting were way off. Thus, we have to get together and re-determine what
      > stories we can actually get done during the iteration, and what we can't,
      > including meeting with the PO to get a "priorities" perspective. Note that
      > this isn't a change like "oh, and we need this added to the feature too",
      > but "oh crap, we can't do this this way on our architecture, we have to do
      > it this completely different way". Is this normal? How can it be mitigated?
      > The PO asked us yesterday how he's supposed to trust our estimates, and,
      > frankly, I thought it was a very valid question.

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic