41088Re: [scrumdevelopment] Estimates changing drastically during the iteration

    Sep 2, 2009
      Hello, Andrew. On Wednesday, September 2, 2009, at 1:44:11 PM,
      you wrote:

      > Our team is finding that when we go to actually implement a piece of
      > functionality, sometimes we realize that our estimates during the planning
      > meeting were way off. Thus, we have to get together and re-determine what
      > stories we can actually get done during the iteration, and what we can't,
      > including meeting with the PO to get a "priorities" perspective. Note that
      > this isn't a change like "oh, and we need this added to the feature too",
      > but "oh crap, we can't do this this way on our architecture, we have to do
      > it this completely different way". Is this normal? How can it be mitigated?

      Perhaps your stories are too big?

      Do you do a quick design discussion before commitment?

      > The PO asked us yesterday how he's supposed to trust our estimates, and,
      > frankly, I thought it was a very valid question.

      He's supposed to trust your velocity.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      The central "e" in "Jeffries" is silent ... and invisible.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic