41083Re: [scrumdevelopment] Estimates changing drastically during the iteration

  • Andrew Wagner
    Sep 2, 2009
      You mean as two tasks within the same story? Yes, we do that. However, the estimate for the implementation part tends to change dramatically when we do the analysis part. And we don't want to break it into multiple stories because it's not much of a "user story" to design something...I mean, how would you acceptance-test it?

      On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Frank Rios <sleepinggnome@...> wrote:

      Andrew,

      I'm not sure if you're doing this already or not, but what if you broke out the story into two parts: one for architecture/analysis, and another for feature development based on architecture?

      The idea behind this is it's easier to modify a model than code.

      --Frank

      From: Andrew Wagner <wagner.andrew@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:44:11 PM
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Estimates changing drastically during the iteration

      Our team is finding that when we go to actually implement a piece of functionality, sometimes we realize that our estimates during the planning meeting were way off. Thus, we have to get together and re-determine what stories we can actually get done during the iteration, and what we can't, including meeting with the PO to get a "priorities" perspective. Note that this isn't a change like "oh, and we need this added to the feature too", but "oh crap, we can't do this this way on our architecture, we have to do it this completely different way". Is this normal? How can it be mitigated? The PO asked us yesterday how he's supposed to trust our estimates, and, frankly, I thought it was a very valid question.

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic