41077Estimates changing drastically during the iteration

  • Andrew Wagner
    Sep 2, 2009
      Our team is finding that when we go to actually implement a piece of functionality, sometimes we realize that our estimates during the planning meeting were way off. Thus, we have to get together and re-determine what stories we can actually get done during the iteration, and what we can't, including meeting with the PO to get a "priorities" perspective. Note that this isn't a change like "oh, and we need this added to the feature too", but "oh crap, we can't do this this way on our architecture, we have to do it this completely different way". Is this normal? How can it be mitigated? The PO asked us yesterday how he's supposed to trust our estimates, and, frankly, I thought it was a very valid question.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic