39454Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Extending a Sprint

  • Jim Schiel
    Jul 1, 2009
      I strongly recommend against extending a Sprint. This has little to do with forcing anything upon the team and much more to do with getting to DONE and maintaining the value of the Scrum team's time. Bottom line -- when a Sprint ends is an arbitrary point in time at which the team stops, looks at what they completed, and decides what to do next. If the incomplete items are still the most important things to be done, they'll be picked up and finished in the next Sprint.

      When teams start looking at the end of the Sprint as the end of the coding effort (until, of course, the final Sprint), they begin undesirable behaviors like trying to squish a bunch of work into the last couple days of the Sprint. That's where corners, and quality, gets cuts. Teams needs to work at their highest sustainable pace all the time, and not try to cram at the end. If they complain that they only need another day, the response from the Scrum Master should be, "Fine. You'll get that day right after the next Sprint Planning." No harm, no foul, folks. The end of a Sprint is that and no more -- the end of the Sprint.

      Jim Schiel
      Owner/CEO, Artisan Software Consulting LLC
      Agile Coach, CST

      On Jun 30, 2009, at 11:55 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:

      If there is a "good reason" understood and agreed to by all, then it
      makes sense. However, forcing it onto the team to meet some arbitrary
      deadline (Which releases are - as often as not) is clearly a violation
      of the relationship between the team and the business. It is the
      business' right to specify what is to be delivered and in what
      order-of-priority. It is the team's right to work at a pace that is
      livable and sustainable.

      On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:17 AM, jmilunsky<jack@brightspark3. com> wrote:

      > This should be a one off type of thing. I agree that it's a slippery slope.
      > We did this once in 9 months. So I would avoid it under normal
      > circumstances.
      >
      > But this scenario seemed to me like one in which you could make an allowance
      > as it was right at the end of the release cycle or so it seemed.
      >
      > But if the release cycle is every couple months then doing this every couple
      > months is probably not a good idea.
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "Michael Spayd" <michael@... >
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> My general position is to not extend Sprints, to follow the timebox quite
      >> religiously because it drives the wrong team behavior, of "oh if we have
      >> just a few more days we can get this other thing done, or we didn't quite
      >> get this done, so just give us some more time and . . ." If you don't like
      >> those rules, don't do Scrum, do Kanban.
      >>
      >> For those who suggested extending the length by a few days, or do
      >> different Sprint lengths, I have a question:
      >>
      >> what if you had a team with a few members who asked to do this same thing
      >> (extend the Sprint) every second Sprint because they were on a monthly
      >> release cycle and this always happened? (I ask because, knowing some inside
      >> information about the question posed, this is what in fact has happened).
      >> Would you make the same recommendation, or a different one?
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >>

      >> Michael

      >> > I am not sure if this is sarcastic or not. Is that what you really
      >> > think?
      >> >
      >> > Carlton

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic