39452Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Extending a Sprint

  • Adam Sroka
    Jun 30, 2009
      If there is a "good reason" understood and agreed to by all, then it
      makes sense. However, forcing it onto the team to meet some arbitrary
      deadline (Which releases are - as often as not) is clearly a violation
      of the relationship between the team and the business. It is the
      business' right to specify what is to be delivered and in what
      order-of-priority. It is the team's right to work at a pace that is
      livable and sustainable.

      On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:17 AM, jmilunsky<jack@...> wrote:

      > This should be a one off type of thing. I agree that it's a slippery slope.
      > We did this once in 9 months. So I would avoid it under normal
      > circumstances.
      >
      > But this scenario seemed to me like one in which you could make an allowance
      > as it was right at the end of the release cycle or so it seemed.
      >
      > But if the release cycle is every couple months then doing this every couple
      > months is probably not a good idea.
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Spayd" <michael@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> My general position is to not extend Sprints, to follow the timebox quite
      >> religiously because it drives the wrong team behavior, of "oh if we have
      >> just a few more days we can get this other thing done, or we didn't quite
      >> get this done, so just give us some more time and . . ." If you don't like
      >> those rules, don't do Scrum, do Kanban.
      >>
      >> For those who suggested extending the length by a few days, or do
      >> different Sprint lengths, I have a question:
      >>
      >> what if you had a team with a few members who asked to do this same thing
      >> (extend the Sprint) every second Sprint because they were on a monthly
      >> release cycle and this always happened? (I ask because, knowing some inside
      >> information about the question posed, this is what in fact has happened).
      >> Would you make the same recommendation, or a different one?
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >>

      >> Michael

      >> > I am not sure if this is sarcastic or not. Is that what you really
      >> > think?
      >> >
      >> > Carlton

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic