39446Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum Teams Finishing Most Work in Last Third of Sprint: PROBLEM or NO??

  • thierry henrio
    Jun 30, 2009
      I'm curious teams are doing 60% in third sprint tier ...
      Do you have any of the following events ?
      - people are moving to complete last stage to done, then reducing wip limit in earlier stage should level production
      - people are doing something else on first tiers
      - items are going backward, as Jack said, and "change your workflow" is an option
      - people are waiting for something (customer approval for acceptance test for instance)

      Would you give us precisions on workflow and wip limits and timeline samples ?
      Regards, Thierry

      On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:05 AM, redbull1214 <james_k_lee@...> wrote:

      Thanks for the concern, Jack.

      I'd like to add more context to this conversation.

      So, the teams take on about 30-40 tasks per sprint. Approximately, 82-87% of those 30-40 tasks are completed (broken down into story points). Usually, this amounts to 2-4 tasks not completed.

      The only concern I am presenting is this observation:

      ..that the teams tend to finish the majority (~60%) of their commitments in the last third of the sprint.

      Should I be alarmed by this observation? And, if so, WHY? And, what mechanisms would I have at my disposal from a facilitator standpoint?

      Thanks.

      James

      PS We use the Kanban board. Burndown charts are posted daily.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jmilunsky" <jack@...> wrote:

      > if you are using the kanban board and they're not finishing tasks, this would mean that tasks are piling up in the in progress column which you'd see straight away.
      >
      > so you should ensure the tasks are complete before they start a new task, there's ways to limit the number of tasks in any given column.
      >
      > You may however have a problem where they say the task is finished but it's not really. This is a different problem altogether. I suggest you get qa engaged earlier if this is the case so that you can know sooner that the task is actually not done.
      >
      > Try adding acceptance test criteria and make the developers ensure that there stuff is done
      >
      > Jack
      > www.agilebuddy.com
      > blog.agilebuddy.com
      > twitter.com/agilebuddy
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "redbull1214" <james_k_lee@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am already using the Kanban Board, since sprint 1.
      > >
      > > James
      > >
      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jmilunsky" <jack@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > THis is called thrashing i.e. they're not finishing one thing before starting another.
      > > >
      > > > A kanban board should really help you with this
      > > >
      > > > Jack
      > > > blog.agilebuddy.com
      > > > twitter.com/agilebuddy
      > > > www.agilebuddy.com