39444Re: Scrum Teams Finishing Most Work in Last Third of Sprint: PROBLEM or NO??

  • jmilunsky
    Jun 30, 2009
      if you are using the kanban board and they're not finishing tasks, this would mean that tasks are piling up in the in progress column which you'd see straight away.

      so you should ensure the tasks are complete before they start a new task, there's ways to limit the number of tasks in any given column.

      You may however have a problem where they say the task is finished but it's not really. This is a different problem altogether. I suggest you get qa engaged earlier if this is the case so that you can know sooner that the task is actually not done.

      Try adding acceptance test criteria and make the developers ensure that there stuff is done

      Jack
      www.agilebuddy.com
      blog.agilebuddy.com
      twitter.com/agilebuddy

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "redbull1214" <james_k_lee@...> wrote:

      > I am already using the Kanban Board, since sprint 1.
      >
      > James
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jmilunsky" <jack@> wrote:
      > >
      > > THis is called thrashing i.e. they're not finishing one thing before starting another.
      > >
      > > A kanban board should really help you with this
      > >
      > > Jack
      > > blog.agilebuddy.com
      > > twitter.com/agilebuddy
      > > www.agilebuddy.com
      > >
      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "redbull1214" <james_k_lee@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Everyone,
      > > >
      > > > I am facilitating 3 scrum teams (4 at one point in time before I consolidated 2 into 1).
      > > >
      > > > I've noticed that most of the teams here have a propensity to finish "most" of their tasks (like 60%) in the last third of the sprint.
      > > >
      > > > After more than 7+ sprints for each team, they are averaging 82-87% completion % overall.. The teams are on an upward trend in terms of story points completed (maybe 5-10% growth per iteration) and scoring/ estimates are becoming more standardized (that is, team members more readily agree on each other's estimates with LESS conversation during the planning meeting),..
      > > >
      > > > From a facilitator perspective, should I be alarmed about this?
      > > >
      > > > If so, what are some of the mechanisms you like to use to keep the burndown on a more even pace throughout the sprint cycle??
      > > >
      > > > Please advise.
      > > >

      > > > James ;)

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic