39432Re: Extending a Sprint

  • allisonweiss
    Jun 29, 2009
      Thanks for the answers so far. In this case, the Scrum Master (me) held the team to the rules. But as our insider points out, this is a frequent question from the team (err..at least one or two members). They have been together as a Scrum team for about ten months. Rule violations (or boundary stretching) are common suggestions/questions. Your input here will help with future decision making when these come up.

      Some of you have suggested we should release on the last day of the sprint. We release two days after the end of the sprint for a couple of reasons. Primarily, we find ourselves working to the very end of the sprint. If a story doesn't make it, we haven't packaged its code up into the release. On average, we release every two sprints. There are also some organizational rules about what days we can release. Is this something we should reconsider?

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:

      > What are the benefits your company and team have experienced because
      > of the time box?
      >
      > Are the expected benefits of this "one time" extension worth the risk
      > of weakening those benefits by opening the door to time box to
      > changes?
      >
      > What are the benefits to the team and company for having a regular
      > rhythm of start and end? Are you willing to risk these?
      >
      > Is your team well disciplined and and experienced in Scrum? Where are
      > you on the "shu-ha-ri" (http://martinfowler.com/bliki/ShuHaRi.html)
      > path of Scrum and agile practices?
      >
      > The most simple questions are: Why is the release date not on a sprint
      > ending date? What problems does this disconnection cause?
      >
      > Alan
      >
      > On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM,
      > allisonweiss<aweiss@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I promised a team member I would submit his question (limited yahoo group
      > > access here):
      > >
      > > We have an upcoming release date and our sprint ends several days before the
      > > release. Is it OK for us as a team to agree during planning to extent this
      > > sprint several days to allow a few extra high value stories to make it into
      > > the release? The only other alternative would be to have these stories wait
      > > 1 month for the next release date. Which is more valuable in the SCRUM
      > > process the software delivered to production or maintaining sprint durations
      > > at fixed 2 week intervals?

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic