39427Re: Extending a Sprint

  • Michael Spayd
    Jun 29, 2009
      My general position is to not extend Sprints, to follow the timebox quite religiously because it drives the wrong team behavior, of "oh if we have just a few more days we can get this other thing done, or we didn't quite get this done, so just give us some more time and . . ." If you don't like those rules, don't do Scrum, do Kanban.

      For those who suggested extending the length by a few days, or do different Sprint lengths, I have a question:

      what if you had a team with a few members who asked to do this same thing (extend the Sprint) every second Sprint because they were on a monthly release cycle and this always happened? (I ask because, knowing some inside information about the question posed, this is what in fact has happened). Would you make the same recommendation, or a different one?

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "banshee858" <cnett858@...> wrote:

      > > My suggestion is that you lavishly pay your developers for overtime.
      > > Buy a case of red bull, keep the pizza delivery company on speed dial,
      > > provide sleeping bags for the office, and have a turbo session for the last
      > > few days of the sprint. You can get away with 20 hour work days, if your
      > > team is willing.
      > >
      > > Make sure they're willing due to incentives.
      > >
      > > Just my opinion...
      > >
      > I am not sure if this is sarcastic or not. Is that what you really think?
      > Carlton
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic