39414Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Plans are there for planning

    Jun 29, 2009
      Hello, inanc_gumus. On Monday, June 22, 2009, at 6:57:54 AM, you
      wrote:

      > CEO said that: "I don't know in scrum how can I hold you
      > accountable. Is the team motivated enough, is the team productive.
      > You say that, we have a deadline, but we can drop a few
      > unimportant stories in the run. I want you to commit to all of the
      > stories for a given date. I want you to work over time w/the team
      > to increase the production if it's needed. Should I hold -you
      > accountable, or PO? Can you please create a release plan for
      > tomorrow, I and PO would conclude that it's viable and let you go."

      > I am wondering now, how can we hold the team, and SM accountable?
      > (I know how to hold PO) How can we know are they productive or
      > not? What do you think about CEO's responses?

      As we've talked about, I am troubled by the whole notion of "holding
      accountable". Here's a potentially interesting story:

      In a really nifty project simulation that Elisabeth Hendrickson
      held for us Saturday, we were watching a team producing "software"
      according to their chosen process.

      For the /very first time/, the team accomplished its Sprint Goal,
      shipping acceptable software. They finished 12 minutes into a 15
      minute Sprint. Instead of congratulating the team, indeed instead
      of getting with the Customer, the "Product Manager" pushed the
      team to try to produce just one more feature since there were
      three minutes left. The team said they didn't think there was
      time. The PM pushed. The team tried, and failed.

      The results included these:

      1. Instead of ending on success, the team ended on FAIL.
      2. Instead of reflecting on the /very first/ success of
      their process, the team went off process.

      This is the kind of thing that a focus on "accountability" does. It
      does it more in real life than it does in a game, and the
      consequences are much worse.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest. -- Paul Simon
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic