39322Re: Plans are there for planning

  • njjreid
    Jun 22, 2009
      My off-the-cuff response to this is to ask the CEO: "What would you like us to be accountable for?"

      You can be accountable to a *deadline*, but if that's the case, you'll need to divert more precious energy to risk management, estimate padding, etc. and less to product development. It's a quick and easy way for the CEO to assess how your team is doing on some dimension, even if I think it's a relatively silly one.

      Or you can be accountable for *delivering the most value* to the company in as short a timeframe as possible. This is the case that Scrum ideally optimizes for. Unfortunately, from outside the team, this requires more resources to assess. So it won't be as easy for the CEO to, at a glance, evaluate your team's health. Or at least it might not be as obvious as to how to do it. This is something you might want to work on with the CEO.

      Or maybe there's a third option you can work out! (almost submitted a false dichotomy there)

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "inanc_gumus" <inanc.gumus@...> wrote:
      > hello Ron,
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello, inanc_gumus. On Sunday, June 21, 2009, at 12:21:23 PM, you
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > The problem is we don't have a release plan. Because, PO thinks
      > > > that it is impossible to make a release plan a priori. Because, he
      > > > wants to listen to market and then decide which stories we should work on.
      > >
      > > What happened when you and the PO and the CEO sat down to sort out
      > > the difference between the CEO's expectations and the PO's wishes?
      > >
      > CEO said that: "I don't know in scrum how can I hold you accountable. Is the team motivated enough, is the team productive. You say that, we have a deadline, but we can drop a few unimportant stories in the run. I want you to commit to all of the stories for a given date. I want you to work over time w/the team to increase the production if it's needed. Should I hold -you accountable, or PO? Can you please create a release plan for tomorrow, I and PO would conclude that it's viable and let you go."
      > I am wondering now, how can we hold the team, and SM accountable? (I know how to hold PO) How can we know are they productive or not? What do you think about CEO's responses?
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic