38311Re: [scrumdevelopment] Best Practices on Defect Management

  • Keith Ray
    May 4, 2009
      Short iterations could help.

      If teams are dependent on each other, they should either plan
      together, or each have a member acting as customer with the other
      teams customer.

      I also think of defects found during an iteration as something to fix
      immediately, OR turn them into stories to be scheduled like other
      stories.

      C. Keith Ray
      Agile Coaching, training, eLearning
      http://www.industriallogic.com
      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, "Brent Walker"
      <brent.walker@...> wrote:

      > I would like to see some discussions around various best practices
      > for managing defects especially around multi-product teams (i.e.
      > inter-related products from different teams)?
      >
      > 1) Do you reduce your capacity for your team members and set that
      > time aside for working defects
      > a) These defects are preventing other teams from completing their
      > sprint (a blocker of sort)
      > 2) Do you plan your sprint to include a set amount of defects for
      > the iteration
      > 3) What level of flexibility does your team plan for in managing
      > defects?
      >
      > I work with infrastructure teams and struggle to find a balance
      > between the sprint contract and the flexibility needed to fix
      > blocking defects requried by the consumers of the infrastructure.
      >
      > Here is an example:
      > Application Team "A" has identified several defects that my
      > infrastructure team needs to provide fixes for but are not currently
      > preventing any stories in their current iteration. They just want
      > them fixed prior to their "hardening" phase of their release.
      > Application Team "B" has a story in their current iteration that is
      > unable to be completed due to a defect the infrastructure team needs
      > to fix.
      >
      > Iteration Planning for Infrastructure Team: Planned to fix a few of
      > Team "A's" defects but did not plan for the one defect from Team
      > "B". Based on the planning contract/comittment we push the defect
      > from Team "B" into the backlog and say sorry? We will add it to our
      > next iteration?
      >
      > Again, looking for best practices from the perspective of an
      > infrastructure team.
      >
      > thanks,
      > Brent

      > ! Groups Links