38213Re: Scrum User Group Closes

  • howardsublett
    Apr 29, 2009
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Cory Foy" <usergroup@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > This afternoon, the Orlando Scrum User Group (http://www.orlandoscrum.org) posted on their site that they are having to close up shop because they were asked to sign a licensing agreement and branding image for their group, and that the SA had laid claims to the term "Scrum User Group".
      >
      > Can anyone comment on if this is the case for all user groups? Not trying to stir up the pot, just find out the story behind what happened.
      >
      > --
      > Cory Foy
      > http://www.cornetdesign.com
      > http://www.agileflorida.com

      The Following is a message from Jim Cundiff, Managing Director at the Scrum Alliance:

      Registering our various trademarks is the best way for us to protect our intellectual properties (IP). The name Scrum User Group and the associated Scrum User Group logo are trademarks claimed by the Scrum Alliance. We offer the use of these marks to organizations and groups of individuals who wish to be registered as a Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group. We were under the impression that the Orlando Scrum User Group desired to be listed as a Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group. As such this group would be entitled to the use of a localized Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group logo and all other rights and privileges associated with being a licensed and registered Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group. This includes customized postings on our website, potential sponsorship funding for local events and featured speakers provided by the Scrum Alliance. Other Scrum User Groups have found these benefits to be of great value.

      We have not requested the Orlando Scrum User Group cease operations nor do we intend to start another Scrum User Group in Orlando. Only that if the local Scrum User Group wishes to use our name and logo and be recognized as a Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group that a representative from the group sign a licensing agreement. There is no fee associated with this agreement, the Scrum Alliance does not charge fees to local Scrum User Groups.

      Do not let this licensing agreement hinder or stop you from meeting as an organized group of Scrum users. If you do not wish your local user group to be registered as a Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group then there is no need for you to sign a licensing agreement with the Scrum Alliance.
    • Show all 93 messages in this topic