37797Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Dedicate Tester in an Agile Team

  • andaluri sai prasad
    Apr 20, 2009
      Hi

      Thank you . This is clear.

      On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 7:53 PM, davenicolette <dnicolet@...> wrote:

      Hi Sivaram,

      If my understanding of Scrum is correct, then the guideline is that teams should include all the skills necessary to deliver the product; teams are cross-functional. Scrum itself doesn't dictate exactly how to achieve that. Team members who are individually multi-skilled is often a very good way to do it, but I don't think that's actually defined in Scrum as such. It would still be consistent with Scrum if you had a team comprising individual experts in each required discipline.

      So, if your team members have both development and testing skills, that's fine. If your team includes some developers who aren't skilled at testing, and some testers who aren't skilled at development, that's also fine as far as Scrum guidelines are concerned (although I personally think the former model is more effective for general business application development, which rarely demands narrow-and-deep specialized skills).

      Cheers,
      Dave

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, andaluri sai prasad <andaluris@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > But as per Scrum guide lines , is it suggestable to have a dedicated tester
      > . Scrum says the team should have
      > members who are multi skilled.
      >
      > -Sivaram
      >

      > On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:36 AM, George Dinwiddie
      > <lists@...>wrote:

      > > brian_bofu wrote:
      > > > We're using Scrum and TDD. But I heard from some team members that
      > > > they'd like to have a tester who could look at the application in a
      > > > different angel. I'm bit curious, in an Agile environment, would a
      > > > dedicate tester be a great helpful with respect to the quality?
      > > > What's your thoughts?
      > >
      > > I've found that having a dedicated tester (or several) on the team pays
      > > big dividends. They bring a viewpoint similar to the product owner
      > > angle, bit with more depth and variety of considerations. This is
      > > really helpful for coming up with acceptance criteria for a story that
      > > will hold up under real-world usage.
      > >
      > > They can also help (often with a developer) automate regression scripts.
      > >
      > > - George
      > >
      > > --
      > > * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
      > > Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com