37750Re: [scrumdevelopment] Dedicate Tester in an Agile Team

  • Ken Schwaber
    Apr 18, 2009
      Scrum does not say that. It says that a team commits to developing an increment of potentially shippable functionality from the product backlog items it selects. Hopefully the team is insightful enough to only commit to those things that it has the skills to do (whether multi-skilled or whatever). The proof is determined when the increment is inspected in the Sprint Review meeting.
      Ken

      On Apr 18, 2009, at 8:31 AM, andaluri sai prasad wrote:

      Hi

      But as per Scrum guide  lines , is it suggestable to have a dedicated tester . Scrum says the team should have
      members who are multi skilled.

      -Sivaram

      On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:36 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@idiacomputing .com>wrote:

      brian_bofu wrote:
      > We're using Scrum and TDD. But I heard from some team members that
      > they'd like to have a tester who could look at the application in a
      > different angel. I'm bit curious, in an Agile environment, would a
      > dedicate tester be a great helpful with respect to the quality?
      > What's your thoughts?

      I've found that having a dedicated tester (or several) on the team pays
      big dividends. They bring a viewpoint similar to the product owner
      angle, bit with more depth and variety of considerations. This is
      really helpful for coming up with acceptance criteria for a story that
      will hold up under real-world usage.

      They can also help (often with a developer) automate regression scripts.

      - George

      * George Dinwiddie * http://blog. gdinwiddie. com
      Software Development http://www.idiacomp uting.com
      Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemar yland.org