37742Re: Dedicate Tester in an Agile Team

  • Michael James
    Apr 18, 2009
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Dave Rooney <dave.rooney@...> wrote:

      > I agree with your separation of the types of testing, but would suggest
      > that TDD is a design specification activity rather than a testing one.

      One thing I'll add to this discussion is the TDD habit
      of mocking out the UI layer and the persistence layer
      (in order to make tests run in less than 10ms) leaves
      holes in the areas a lot of customer bug reports tend
      to come in: the UI (especially in browser-based apps),
      and the interaction of multiple components at the
      persistence layer.

      So yeah, you need end to end system testing, and it's
      the whole team's responsibility. Fortunately nowadays
      we can do a lot of it using unit test tools that can
      plug into our continuous integration environments,
      which helps mitigate the slower turnaround time.

      Knowing whether to add this particular person to
      the team is a whole different question that can't be
      answered just from his resume.

      --mj
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic