37066Re: [scrumdevelopment] How many chickens is too many?

    Mar 13, 2009
      Hello, Roy. On Friday, March 13, 2009, at 7:32:23 AM, you wrote:

      > I agree entirely, Ron, and my suggestion was not totally serious
      > ... but unfortunately there are some managers who just cannot
      > control themselves, and it is virtually impossible to be
      > transparent with them. Any admission of a problem or a mistake
      > made, or similar admission, is just what such a manager is looking
      > for to allow him (or her) to assert their power and authority.
      > Subterfuge is sometimes a survival tactic.

      It can be. I find survival tactics to be a poor refuge, but in tough
      times what can anyone do? And some people aren't as crazy as I am.

      What I choose to believe -- despite its obvious untruth -- is that
      by being transparent with such a manager, and jawboning him
      mercilessly, I can bring him around to letting the team do their
      job. I base that on the fact that I've been successful in doing it
      so often. One reason why I've been successful is that my work has
      been good ... and it is usually obvious to my management that I
      value the work more than I do the job, so that the usual threat
      avenues just don't work on me.

      Most people, again, aren't that crazy, so they are more likely to
      drop into survival mode.

      I think that's tragic, and I cannot recommend it, though I can
      understand it.

      Ron Jeffries
      Attend our CSM Plus Course!
      If you're not throwing some gravel once in a while,
      you're not using the whole road.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic