36935Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: A tale of two Scrums

    Mar 4, 2009
      Hello, jens.meydam. On Wednesday, March 4, 2009, at 3:36:29 PM,
      you wrote:

      > Let me just add that my association of certain practices (like
      > specification of soon-to-be developed requirements in form of
      > small, well understood user stories) with XP may stem from my
      > observation that people close to XP seem to feel particularly
      > strongly about these practices.

      Yes, especially since we think we originated the ideas. Not that
      anyone is counting ...

      > What I still wonder, though, is whether we are really heading
      > towards a kind of "Unified Agile Method" combining the best of
      > Scrum, XP, Chrystal, ... - or whether these approaches to software
      > development and creative work are not really to some extent incompatible.

      > I have the impression that - depending on the style of Scrum -
      > doing Scrum and doing XP can feel very different.

      I'm not quite sure what that means. Certainly operating at a high
      level of discipline feels different from a low level. Alistair used
      to say that Crystal was designed to require low discipline (and
      implicitly XP wasn't). I see no reason why a sufficiently
      low-discipline execution of XP wouldn't begin to look a lot like
      Crystal or Scrum, or why high-discipline versions of those wouldn't
      look like XP.

      I think it is all one elephant, whose tail and trunk and legs we
      grab onto and apply as our needs and judgment dictate.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      Attend our CSM Plus Course!
      Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
      pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
      -- Samuel Johnson
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic