36935Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: A tale of two Scrums

    Mar 4, 2009
      Hello, jens.meydam. On Wednesday, March 4, 2009, at 3:36:29 PM,
      you wrote:

      > Let me just add that my association of certain practices (like
      > specification of soon-to-be developed requirements in form of
      > small, well understood user stories) with XP may stem from my
      > observation that people close to XP seem to feel particularly
      > strongly about these practices.

      Yes, especially since we think we originated the ideas. Not that
      anyone is counting ...

      > What I still wonder, though, is whether we are really heading
      > towards a kind of "Unified Agile Method" combining the best of
      > Scrum, XP, Chrystal, ... - or whether these approaches to software
      > development and creative work are not really to some extent incompatible.

      > I have the impression that - depending on the style of Scrum -
      > doing Scrum and doing XP can feel very different.

      I'm not quite sure what that means. Certainly operating at a high
      level of discipline feels different from a low level. Alistair used
      to say that Crystal was designed to require low discipline (and
      implicitly XP wasn't). I see no reason why a sufficiently
      low-discipline execution of XP wouldn't begin to look a lot like
      Crystal or Scrum, or why high-discipline versions of those wouldn't
      look like XP.

      I think it is all one elephant, whose tail and trunk and legs we
      grab onto and apply as our needs and judgment dictate.

      Ron Jeffries
      Attend our CSM Plus Course!
      Those who attain to any excellence commonly spend life in some single
      pursuit, for excellence is not often gained upon easier terms.
      -- Samuel Johnson
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic