36926Re: A tale of two Scrums

  • jens.meydam
    Mar 3, 2009
      Hi Alistair

      Thanks for your comment!

      I was myself a bit surprised when I caught myself thinking that, yes,
      sometimes, "raw" Scrum - no fine-grained user stories with detailed
      conditions of satisfaction, no story points, no velocity - just
      a challenging goal and the inspect and adapt cycle - may be a much
      better fit.

      For me, the essence of Scrum is summed up in the following anecdote
      ("Agile Software Development with Scrum" by Ken Schwaber and
      Mike Beedle, p. 82):

      "[...] Jeff Sutherland, VP of Engineering, went to the President of
      Easel Corporation, and asked him, 'Have you ever seen a development
      team to meet a traditional project plan.' He said, 'No.' Jeff said,
      'I think the only thing you can trust is working software that the
      team can demo. If you give the team complete freedom for 30 day
      Sprints, at the end of the Sprint you will see exactly where the
      product is, for better or worse.' He said, 'Fine, for the first time
      I will know where product development really stands and can make the
      appropriate decisions. I'm willing to take the risk of giving the
      team autonomy for defined periods.'"

      Regards

      Jens
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic