36328Re: Flaccid Scrum ...

  • Kane Mar
    Feb 1, 2009
      Hi George,

      > The answer is simple and obvious--improve the technical engineering
      > practice. The way to do that is not so easy, however.
      >
      > For example, Tim Walker suggests "Attention to technical excellence and
      > hiring motivated people are required for it to be successful." As true
      > as this is, it's no way for an organization to get from where it is to a
      > desired state of being able to reliably create desired functionality in
      > their software.
      >
      > People cannot suddenly be attentive to technical excellence. They must
      > slowly acquire the awareness and deeper understanding that they lack, or
      > they would already be attentive. Hiring motivated people suggests that
      > those doing the hiring will suddenly be able to understand what sort of
      > motivation is required, how to discern it in candidates, and follow
      > through with this criteria in preference to the criteria they've been using.
      >
      > And what would you do with the people you have now? Those that are
      > presumably not motivated toward technical excellence? Fire them all and
      > replace them? This is the HR equivalent to the total rewrite of a
      > legacy application, and it has some of the same problems. There is a
      > lot of domain knowledge hidden in there--knowledge that would be
      > difficult to find written down anywhere. The new must achieve the
      > competency of the old before it can begin to surpass it--until then, no
      > benefit is seen. The new will be starting in the same context as the
      > old, and therefore is likely to produce something with a similar
      > organization (or lack thereof).

      This is a terrific post! I've read the above 4 paragraphs about three times and each time I
      find something new. Great stuff!

      > The bottom line is that the developers have to learn to /recognize/ what
      > is "better," they have to learn how to /do/ it, and the cultural context
      > in which they work has to change such that it really is important enough
      > to have happen. Depending on where you start, that's a lot to change
      > all at once. It can take a lot of time and energy.

      Yes, I think you've spot on with the bottom line. It simply isn't enough to recognize
      'better', learn how to do it, and change the cultural context ... rather *all* these things
      need to happen to make any lasting impact. A lot of time and energy indeed! =)

      Best regards,
      Kane Mar
      http://KaneMar.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kanemar
      http://www.twitter.com/Kane_Mar | http://www.twitter.com/AgileCarnival