36326Re: ScrumButt [was [Bad] Scrum ...]

  • Kane Mar
    Feb 1, 2009
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Little" <jhlittle@...> wrote:
      > I would certainly agree. And thanks for raising the issue. And
      > apologies if I deflate the interest of some readers by changing the
      > subject line to a different metaphor.

      So why did you do it? Apologizing for something and then doing it anyway, makes me feel
      like you're being insincere.

      > I think it is a feature (not a bug) that Scrum does not *require
      > specific* engineering practices. But not continuously improving
      > Engineering practices is a form of ScrumButt ("we do Scrum, but...we
      > don't have any engineering practices"). Doing Scrum absolutely means
      > that you must improve engineering practices. Continuously!!!
      >
      > You and Martin (apparently) don't define what "a mess" means.

      As part of my CSM training I often talk about team etiquette. It's one of my favorite topics
      because it's such a simple thing to do, and the impact of good etiquette is tremendous.
      One practice of good team etiquette is to avoid the use of "You" because it's accusatory
      and can lead to overly defensive behavior. I can share that slide with you, if you wish.

      > I'll suggest two things to start with that might clean it up:
      > (1) A story is not done until all bugs are fixed (very soon this
      > almost always means you must have more automated testing).
      > (2) Somewhere in every story we must do some refactoring of the code.
      > Should be part of the definition of done. That DoD is *very* important.

      Sure, we all pretty much agree on the basics. And, having been through the adoption
      cycles for both XP and Scrum, I certainly agree that it's a strength rather than a weakness.

      I decided to refer to Martins article because I feel that it's an important topic, and I've
      recently read several variations on this theme. Personally, I feel that Martin's post is the
      best of them because it's well written and he doesn't try to point blame. In fact he goes out
      of his way to say that it's a problem that's bigger than Scrum.

      Best regards,
      Kane Mar
      http://KaneMar.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kanemar
      http://www.twitter.com/Kane_Mar | http://www.twitter.com/AgileCarnival