35481RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum adoption in union environments.

  • Jean Richardson
    Dec 24, 2008

      I’m working in a State agency, and, yes, they are unionized.  The contract defines roles and relates that directly to pay and other compensation (such as how and whether comp time is accrued).  So, if an IS5 is doing something such as database design, the contract would indicate that, for the period of time that worker is doing higher-than-IS5 tasks, the worker should be given a work-out-of-class differential.

      From: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ron Jeffries
      Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 10:28 AM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum adoption in union environments.

      Hello, Jean. On Wednesday, December 24, 2008, at 11:35:51 AM, you
      wrote:

      > This is the first time I've heard this perspective. How does it promote
      > what any union wants to protect? The perspective I've got so far is that
      > Scrum is a threat to the role protection (grades, classes, steps and so
      on)
      > that unions organize around. I'm eager to hear more about what you say
      > above.

      Are your developers unionized? In any case Scrum doesn't say what
      real company titles should be. It does say how people should work
      together and what "roles" they play in that work.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming. com
      www.xprogramming. com/blog
      In times of stress, I like to turn to the wisdom of my Portuguese waitress,
      who said: "Olá, meu nome é Marisol e eu serei sua garçonete."
      -- after Mark Vaughn, Autoweek.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic