35477Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum adoption in union environments.

  • David H.
    Dec 24, 2008

      > This is the first time I've heard this perspective. How does it promote
      > what any union wants to protect? The perspective I've got so far is that
      > Scrum is a threat to the role protection (grades, classes, steps and so on)
      > that unions organize around. I'm eager to hear more about what you say
      > above.

      I can only speak for Verdi which I have briefly been a part of. The
      union has the well being and the continued success of the employee in
      their mind when they try to protect certain privileges. For most
      unions that I know off (and my mother has been a head of a shop
      stewards committee ) it is about protecting income, protecting
      existing work environment procedures, holidays, benefits and
      remuneration.

      This all takes into account that a company needs to be highly
      adaptable in order for them to be flexible enough in their absorption
      of market bumps so that they can offer a steady working environment.
      If I have a company which is highly adaptable and I make smart
      decisions than I should be able to offer my employees the same
      standard in "bad times" which I was able to offer in "good times:.
      Unions are usually also very interested in protecting the employee and
      their work-life balance. In Germany that is best expressed through the
      large amount of holidays which are given by law, unions had a huge
      influence on that. Because frameworks like Scrum promote smart
      working, sustainable pace and being clever about scheduling and
      planning we should always see an improvement in "overtime" behaviour.

      The same goes for health. Sick leave, sick days, the amount of time
      spent recuperating from sickness, being overtired and overworked, all
      of that should be areas where you could see substantial improvements.
      Those are all topics which are dear to most unions.

      Now for the protection of standards and "roles". Verdi, as a union,
      has something which is called the "collective bargaining agreement".
      An agreement which guarantees basic rights and works quite simple.
      Anything which is perceived to be of more benefit to an employee in
      the collective bargaining agreement supersedes any agreements made
      between the employee and the employer in their respective work
      agreements or contracts. The same is true for the reverse. Anything
      which is deemed more beneficial to the employee found in the agreement
      between employer and employee supersedes any provisions made in the
      collective bargaining agreement.

      I hope this explains it a little bit better. However I have no idea
      what it is like for Unions which deal more with a work-force that has
      to apply a large amount of manual labour.

      -d

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic