34862Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: User Stories vs. Agile Use Cases

  • George Dinwiddie
    Dec 1, 2008
      David H. wrote:
      > We are also human and thus we are limited in what we can learn. I
      > would suggest we only learn the things that return most value to us in
      > the context we need to learn them in. If knowing a lot about Use Cases
      > enables me to write better User Stories in the end, then I am all for
      > learning about them.
      > I do not know anything noteworthy about Use Cases and yet I seem to be
      > capable of writing User Stories for complex problems. I would really
      > like to know whether learning about Use Cases can improve my
      > abilities. Any suggestions?

      There's a /really/ good book on Use Cases, though Alistair may be too
      modest to mention it. I think you would find reading it worth your
      time. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0201702258/

      I've also seen people use Use Cases like a carpenter using a chisel for
      a screwdriver. I couldn't get them to take a look at the book. I also
      couldn't get them to throw out "use cases" where there was no user, just
      another part of the same system.

      I wouldn't say Use Cases are /necessary/ "for showing people the shape
      of the system to be," but they're a good tool to know.

      - George