34856Re: User Stories vs. Agile Use Cases

  • aacockburn
    Dec 1, 2008
      I learned long ago that there are people who will only learn a new
      tool or technique when faced with abject failure. Short of that, they
      say -- no matter what difficulties they encounter along the way --
      "See, I told my tool box was sufficient for the job."

      Best wishes with your tool box. May you one day learn to spot the
      empty spaces in it.

      Alistair

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...>
      wrote:

      > 2008/12/1 aacockburn <acockburn@...>:
      > > Good points, Tom.
      > >
      > > This sort of discussion gets me to note that the workers working
      on
      > > my house have a belt sander and also a chisel. I've seen them use
      > > both. I've not yet seen them argue over, "Should we get rid of the
      > > belt sander and only keep the chisel, or vice versa?"
      > >

      > If the value the chisel returned would gradually move towards zero I
      > stipulate that discussion would come up more and more.
      >
      > > I also can't see the workmen saying, "I'm not going to learn how
      > > use a belt sander - this chisel works fine for me."
      > >
      > You have obviously never met my steph father (who happens to be a
      > structural engineer for car bodies) and swears to certain ways of
      > doing it and completely disregarding others. Apparently it works for
      > him, he is still quite respected in his community.
      >
      > > The way of phrasing the question about use cases versus user
      stories
      > > already presupposes that an either/or choice is appropriate.
      > >
      > > They are both tools. Learn them both. We are all professionals --
      it
      > > behooves us to know the tools available to us.
      > >
      > We are also human and thus we are limited in what we can learn. I
      > would suggest we only learn the things that return most value to us
      in
      > the context we need to learn them in. If knowing a lot about Use
      Cases
      > enables me to write better User Stories in the end, then I am all
      for
      > learning about them.
      >
      > I do not know anything noteworthy about Use Cases and yet I seem to
      be
      > capable of writing User Stories for complex problems. I would really
      > like to know whether learning about Use Cases can improve my
      > abilities. Any suggestions?
      >
      > -d
      >
      > --
      > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
      > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
      accounts.

      > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
      > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic