      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: andreas.schliep@...
      Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:42:54 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Sprint Zero

      > > what he defines as "iteration -1" and "iteration 0"
      >
      > I do hear this kind of thing a lot, but it smells like procrastination
      > to me.
      >
      > What innovation is next, the 31 day Sprint?

      I have discussed the 'Sprint zero' matter a couple of times. The
      drawbacks seemed higher than the benefits:

      - Sprint zero does not produce working code
      - Sprint zero takes away the sense of urgency
      - Sprint zero leads to a misunderstanding of Scrum
      - Sprint zero disappoints stakeholders

      Whenever you need to set the stage before you can actually do Scrum,
      don't call it a Sprint or iteration. Once you are in a Sprint, you are
      doing Scrum - so the first Sprint is supposed to be Sprint One

      - deliver working code
      - refine backlog items / user stories
      - figure out the architecture outline
      - make stakeholders happy

      My regards to all the poor teams out there who are still in Sprint
      minus 5...

      Andreas

      Sign up for the Hotmail Road Trip today. Your dream beach house escape for summer!
    • Show all 185 messages in this topic