3445Re: question regarding muliple projects against a small team

  • David A Barrett
    May 10, 2004
      Ok, so now I'm a little worried.

      The more I think about it, the less comfortable I am with Deb's spreadsheet
      and the way it focuses on the individuals' performance. This clashes
      totally with what I perceived to be key component of the Scrum methodology;
      the team aspect.

      In the ScrumMaster course, Ken made a point about ensuring that the daily
      scrums were about the team members reporting to each other. He advised
      doing things like avoiding eye contact with the team members in order to
      avoid having them report *to* the scrummaster. I can think of numerous
      other examples where he went out of his way to stress that the
      scrummaster's role was *not* to organize and control the team's activities.
      The chicken and pig concept, which seems to be a pillar of the methodology,
      puts the emphasis on the team and shared goals.

      So why am I worried? Well Deb puts up the spreadsheet which appears to
      shift the focus from teamwork back onto individually managed people with
      individual goals which are (probably) assigned by management, and the next
      thing we see on this list are a whole bunch of posts from people saying
      they think this is really cool. So then I wonder if people are looking at
      this and saying to themselves, "Hey, this is the missing link! I can
      implement Scrum while still keeping my subordinates directly accountable to
      myself, and I can maintain control on an individual basis".

      Now the last thing I want to be is dogmatic, but I'm thinking that if you
      are managing your team with this spreadsheet (and the management style that
      it implies) then it's not Scrum anymore. It may be effective, it may
      support iterative and incemental, but it's not Scrum. If it's not Scrum,
      what does that mean?

      Perhaps if Mike or Ken could step in at this time and express an opinion it
      would help to clarify this for me.

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic