3420Re: [scrumdevelopment] question regarding muliple projects against a small team

  • clarke_ching@standardlife.com
    May 5, 2004
      Hi Dave,

      How does your company make money from the work you're doing?

      Maximising cash flow - long and short term - should be the main

      Dave Moore
      <jdmoorejr@yaho To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      o.com> cc:
      05/05/2004 Subject: [scrumdevelopment] question regarding muliple projects against a small
      00:45 team
      Please respond

      Hey All,

      I'm working at getting my head around how to start using Scrum in our
      little organization. I'm beset by a couple of initial challenges that I'm
      hoping get your feedback/opinions on.

      A little info...
      We are a small custom software development shopt and currently have 5
      developers each either working on a specific project that they "own", or
      bouncing around helping on other projects as their time allows. We have
      about 10 projects that are in maintenance mode, which is to say that the
      backlog would be either periodically empty, or filled with some "hot"
      items... which would hopefully be iterated over in a hurry and the be
      "patched" to the current working code base. Each project is with a
      different customer, represents a different code base, and possibly a
      different technology. We also occassionally take on a new project whose
      typical 1-2 developer lifecyle is anywhere from 3-9 months.

      Some of my confusion/problems.
      I think I could figure out how to form a team, create a backlog, and begin
      a sprint for a new project that has a considerable amount of backlog
      directly related to it.
      But, I can't seem to figure out how to organize the maintenance projects
      into a sprint structure that makes sense. Any ideas?
      1) Do I create one team and try and divide our time amongst multiple
      projects and consequently multiple (possibly shorter) sprints?
      2) Do I divide the teams up, having one sort of new project team that can
      more closely adhere to the Scrum 30day sprint etc guidelines, and another
      project team that works against several maintenance projects with small
      sprints/quicker releases?
      3) Do something completely different?

      I fear I may not be giving enough information, but I didn't want to make
      this email too long.

      Thank you for your time!

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      For more information on Standard Life, visit our website

      The Standard Life Assurance Company, Standard Life House, 30 Lothian
      Road, Edinburgh EH1 2DH, is registered in Scotland (No. SZ4) and
      regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Tel: 0131 225 2552 -
      calls may be recorded or monitored. This confidential e-mail is for
      the addressee only. If received in error, do not retain/copy/disclose
      it without our consent and please return it to us. We virus scan and
      monitor all e-mails but are not responsible for any damage caused by
      a virus or alteration by a third party after it is sent.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic