      From: Michael Vizdos [mailto:michael.vizdos@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, 4 May 2004 7:06 AM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum -- for families....

      Hi all.

      I have an idea I'd like to share with this group.

      Don't know if this is just for laughs (I hope not) but....

      Our family of four (me, my wife, and two kids -- they are young) is always
      struggling with "life" activities. Feels like sometimes we are spinning our
      wheels. Sounds familiar on some IT projects I have been involved with.
      This is probably the norm for most families out there.

      My wife has tried different "systems" in the past to try to get things
      planned in life -- but usually they are only about one person in the family
      doing something, not the family as a "team."

      See where I am going with this???

      As a CSM, my wife asked me about what I do with Scrum [heh, we DO
      communicate!] and she said, "Hey, let's try that with life at home." I
      really think this was her way of getting me more involved in trying to plan
      our crazy lives (smile). So here it is.

      Is there anyone out there that has something documented like this
      specifically for use by families? I know, I know, I know..... Ken and
      others say this can be applied outside of our IT work lives. Is anyone
      already doing this?

      If not, let this thread serve two functions:

      1) I am going to try this at home. Um... Should say "we". Outside of work.
      Using non-IT or technical terms.

      2) I will document stuff as it happens. Maybe, just maybe, I can use this
      as a springboard for my next book (once I finish the book on the EUP
      (www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.info) that I am co-authoring). This may then
      help spread Scrum to the mainstream... Or is that too lofty of a goal?

      Dumb idea? Already "taken" -- if so, where can I build on it?

      Anyone interested in joining me on this?

      Thank you,

      - mike v.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic