3390Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: SCRUM & Change / Defect Management

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    May 1, 2004
      w6rabbit wrote:

      > We're half way through our first official sprint,
      > and starting to look at how to track time remaining
      > so that it is visible to stakeholders.
      >
      > My confusion with XPlanner (cute name) is that
      > it seems to assume
      > a) that my task estimates are in hours;

      How big are your tasks? So big that writing 6 hours (= 1 day) and 12
      hours (= 2 days) is a hardship? (In my world, 1 day = 6 hours, and not
      8. I've never got 8 good hours of work in a day done, especially when
      pairing.)

      > b) that programmers track their time on
      > each task, as opposed to doing multiple
      > things during the day.

      I don't know anything about XPlanner, but my understanding is that to
      track time on a task, all that matters is "how much more time do you
      need to finish?" In that sense, doing multiple things during the day
      ought not to affect tracking this status.

      > I can imagine requiring each to re-estimate
      > the units left on a task, but it's hard to
      > imagine getting them to track their time
      > daily without a fight.

      At the end of the day, they look at the two or three tasks they're
      working on (this is an advanced practice, by the way -- one things at a
      time is best) and estimate how much they have left to do, then update
      that information. You have to fight them to do this? It takes less than
      one minute per task.
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services