33839Re: What about this? I'm already dodging for cover !

  • aacockburn
    Oct 27, 2008
      Well, tbe problem is that the course is to certify a person as having
      learned the ScrumMaster role, but people use the course as a Scrum
      Bootcamp course (and get a free certificate from it).

      If there had been a "Scrum Bootcamp" course, with a certificate that
      produced "Certified Bootcampee", then that certificate or a promise
      that the person already knew basic Scrum and was interested in
      learning how to be a good SCrumMaster, would make great sense as
      entry criteria for the CSM course.

      That would have been the sensible thing to do.

      What we have now is a really untenable situation where thousands of
      people have CSM certificates without possibly even knowing basic
      Scrum rules, the CSM course has become the defacto Scrum Bootcamp
      course ... and I doubt that either future Scrum Bootcampees or the
      CST Invested have interest in generating and holding a watered down
      certificate called Scrum Bootcampee.

      However, frankly, that would solve the basic problem. Scrum
      Bootcampees are a different breed than ScrumMasters, quite properly,
      and have different needs to be satisfied by different courses. Tens
      of thousands of people need the Scrum Bootcamp material, many
      hundreds to a few thousands need the CSM material.

      It is not too late to make this change - the total number of Scrum
      Bootcampees already taught is much much smaller than the number yet
      to be taught.

      Alistair

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Angela Druckman
      <angela.druckman@...> wrote:

      > As much as we all get tired of seeing people doing strange things
      and calling it Scrum -

      > I think the Scrum community already sometimes has an elitist feel
      to it from a newcomers point of view.  I wouldn't want to scare more
      people off by making it more so.  I understand it is in the works to
      have a more rigorous certification standard for CSM, and that is
      great.  But everyone has to start somewhere.

      > Why not welcome anyone who wants to learn more, even if they
      haven't a clue to start?  People don't know what they don't know--why
      punish them for that fact?

      >      --Angela

      CSM