      From: andycirillo [mailto:acirillo@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 2:37 AM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: [XP] Scrum and XP

      I won't attempt to answer your question because I'm kind of wondering
      the same thing (except that my version is 'Isn't the XP planning game
      just a scaled-down version of Scrum?')

      I would like to make a few comments in support of Scrum however:

      1. Scrum is scalable. There are precedents for having Scrums of
      Scrums of Scrums, which is critical if you want to use agile methods
      across an organization, or on very large teams.

      2. I think the Scrum concept of a backlog is more sophisticated than
      anything on the XP side. The flow from Product Backlog to Version
      Backlog to Sprint Backlog gives you a nice clean way to manage a
      product roadmap without sacrificing flexibility.

      3. Scrum is something that professional managers can relate to.
      These guys don't care about continuous integration or unit testing.
      XP is largely outside of their world, which means that they will have
      a hard time relating to development. Scrum is something they can
      sink their teeth into, and it can act as a 'contract' between them
      and developm ent that both sides can understand.

      4. Like you said, Scrum can be an easier way to "go agile" than XP.
      If you're walking into an environment with no unit tests, no
      continuous integration and developers that break out in hives at the
      mention of pair programming, you can still implement Scrum fairly
      easily.

      My impression is that both XP and Scrum have crude 'stubs' of each
      other built into them, which suggests that they were meant to be used
      together - which begs the question, "Is Scrum going to end up just
      being part of XP?"

      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., Lowell Lindstrom <lindstrom@o...> wrote:
      I can't seem to find a substantial difference between the XP
      Planning Game
      and Scrum.  There are subtle differences, but if the team is
      adapting their
      work as they proceed, I can't see why I starting with one versus
      the other
      would have make any difference in the outcome of the project.

      I can see how Scrum would be a way to move towards XP in a "non-XP-
      friendly"
      environment or simply a way to be Agile, if I not using XP
      programming
      practices.

      If I am in an "XP-friendly" environment, I would not want to
      complicate
      things by introducing Scrum terminology for project management,
      which is
      largely redundant to the Planning Game.