331RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: [XP] Scrum and XP

  • Mike Beedle
    May 15, 2002

      Andy:

      Great response.  You make a couple of very good points about the separation of
      concerns (management/engineering) and about the scope of each.

      However, let me focus on your question:  "Is Scrum going to end up just being part of XP?"

      Here is my take:  not a chance.  If anything, XP might eventually adopt a "full Scrum"
      approach, and eventually get closer to a full gene mix of XP and Scrum.  But many of
      us have already passed that level even 2 years ago.

      However, XP@Scrum and XBreed have gone beyond that level by seeking very specific goals
      that will contribute with more agile practices/patterns.

      In the case of XP@Scrum the new extra practices will come from the emphasis on
      "Business-Value Driven Development".  I am anxious to get a copy of Ken and Kane's
      new book on  Business-Value Driven Development.  Ken, do you guys have concrete
      date for when we might expect this book?

      In the case of XBreed, the new practices will come from the goal of creating a
      layered framework of reusable components shared among many contributing teams.

      - Mike