33058RE: [scrumdevelopment] Intro to Agile / XP / Scrum game that takes 15-20 minutes?

  • Igor Maciel Macaubas
    Oct 4 3:56 AM

      Hi All,

      Liked the “bonus round” concept, but I did it a little bit different. Instead of suggesting an arbitrary speed, I just changed one of the rules when the team reached stability and predictability. For example, in the first Sprint, the team estimated 50 ball points, but really did only 35. After a few sprints, the team got better knowledge of its capacity, started to make more accurate estimates and reached a point of stability – like estimating 65 points and deliverying 67 to 70 points. So I changed one of the rules, for example, in the last Sprint I would allow the team to hand the ball to the person standing directly next to them. After that, the team usually performs way better than they used to perform (because it makes the game easier).

      The point here is to show that once a team gets stability, the only way to make them speed it up is to change the rules of the system. Just another way to do “bonus rounding” ;-)

      Yesterday I applied the game you suggested with one of my teams, which is new to Scrum and still a little bit reticent about estimating in story points. I asked about the sanake bites, shark species, and a few more other numbers I looked up on the web, and the result was great – everybody felt that estimating using relative sizes is way more interesting, raises more questions and generates more interaction. And in the end, it’s quicker. I believe that from now on, this team will be less resistent to change. Great game, thanks for your contribution!